This girl has a certain je ne sais quoi. Maybe she is super funny and smart, and you can’t stop thinking about her. Perhaps she’s great company, and you would love to have her as a friend. Either way, we know it can be nerve-racking to text someone for the first time. After all, you can only ask, “How are you?” and “What are you doing?” so much, right?
Luckily, there is always a way to get through to someone. After all, humans are very social creatures, and we love to form new and exciting relationships all the time. This article will teach you how to start a conversation with a girl and keep it flowing. Check out these simple yet effective ideas for icebreaker texts.
How to Start a Conversation With a Girl Over Text
Talking to a girl, especially when you are attracted to her, can seem like a minefield. What if you say the wrong thing? Breaking the ice is easier than it looks and shouldn’t lead to any unnecessary stress. Girls are human too! As long as you strike up a fun conversation and make her feel heard and appreciated, you’ll be okay. So quit overthinking, and let’s get down to work!
First things first. It’s no surprise that the ultimate convo igniter is to say hello. Yes, even when texting. Doing so will keep things light and friendly. If you go straight into the conversation, you’ll seem rushed, which might be a bit off-putting.
This icebreaker is very easy to master since only a simple “hey” will do the trick. Still, a text like this doesn’t have to be dull. There are ways to seem even more approachable. You could always resort to adding exclamation points and emojis. In moderation, these elements will help you seem casual and relaxed.
However, we must warn you. If you are thinking of garnishing your greeting text, proceed with caution. Going overboard with the before mentioned elements could send the wrong message. You don’t want to look too desperate.
Asking About Her
Okay, so you said hello, she texted back, things are going great! What’s next? Well, people enjoy talking about themselves. Just like in any good old face-to-face conversation, it would be appropriate for you to inquire more about her. But how does one do that exactly? You could begin by talking about how she’s doing.
Ask about her day. This question will show that you care about her. Make sure to step in here and there. You don’t want it to become a monologue that will lead to those dreaded awkward silences! Comment on what she’s telling you. This gesture will make her feel listened to every time.
Once you’ve fueled up the conversation, make sure to move on from basic questions. Remember, talking through texts is much like doing so in person. Small talk can only get you so far. But, no worries, this doesn’t mean you’ve reached a wall. If anything, you’ll just need to find a different path, and we’re here to walk you through it.
Navigating the New Path: Icebreaker Texts
Before you start bombarding your texting partner with all of your inquiries, it is vital to prepare the ground. To do this, you should gradually introduce your icebreakers. A great way to do this is to make it a game. You could ask her if she wants to play Twenty Questions. That gives you the option to get inquisitive without coming off too strong. Genius, right?
To keep things running smoothly, you must remain respectful and within boundaries. If this girl is your crush and you’re trying to flirt, the last thing you want is to scare her off! It’s unlikely she’ll feel comfortable answering deeply personal questions to someone she barely knows, let alone over a game. In short, try to keep it light and fun.
Icebreaker Texts You Can Use
Make a list of questions you can ask and keep it handy. This way, you won’t unexpectedly run out of things to say. You don’t want to let the conversation run dry. If you’re short on ideas, here are some useful suggestions to break the ice.
Texts to Get Started
If you’re wondering how do you start a conversation over a text, these very basic questions will help you out:
- What’s your favorite color?
- What is your favorite animal?
- What is your favorite food?
- Where do you like to eat that food?
- Do you know how to cook it?
- Do you have any pets? (If you have a pet of your own, this is a great time to send cute pictures.)
- What is your favorite season, and why?
- What is your favorite movie? (If you have seen it, make sure to let her know.)
- Who is your favorite singer?
- Coffee or tea? (If you’re brave enough, this question might lead to your first date!)
Texts to Get the Conversation Going
Now you’ve got the basic questions out of your system. Try to ask some more fun ones to spark the conversation. Here are some ideas:
- What is your secret talent?
- What’s the language you wish you could speak?
- What makes you feel happy?
- Is there a time you would have liked to live in? Why?
- What is the first song that pops out on your playlist?
- If you could have a genie grant you three wishes, what would they be?
- If you could eat just one thing for the rest of your life, what meal would you choose, and why?
- What’s the oldest memory you can remember?
- What song urges you to get up and dance?
- If your life was a TV show, what would be your theme song?
“Would You Rather” Icebreakers
“Would You Rather” is quite a simple game. You present two options, and your texting partner chooses one and explains why. It’s an entertaining and super useful way to learn more about someone!
- Would you rather not be able to read, or not being able to speak?
- Would you rather only be able to whisper, or only be able to scream?
- Would you rather be always late or always early?
- Would you rather be able to talk to animals, but not understand them when they reply or be able to understand animals, but unable to answer back?
- Would you rather be wealthy but sad, or poor but happy?
- Would you rather eat only ice cream for the rest of your life or only salad?
- Would you rather be able to talk to only fish or only birds?
- Would you rather be a dog or a cat?
- Would you rather be a reverse centaur (legs of a human, head of a horse), or a reverse mermaid (legs of a human, head of a fish)?
- Would you rather have to sing every word you say, or scream every one of your thoughts?
Icebreaker Activities That Are Not Questions
Don’t let the conversation die. Spice it up with some games that you can play over text. Of course, you can always make up your own activities. If you’re stuck in a creative loop, here are some ideas to get you going:
- Make a Spotify playlist together.
- Play Pictionary online.
- Exchange recipes and cook them together over text (This is an excellent opportunity to send nice pictures and videos!)
- Play chess online.
- Play card games online.
- Watch a movie on Netflix together (You can do this by downloading a Chrome extension.)
- Pick a song, and make a game out of completing the song lyrics. Use the information you gathered from the questions you asked before and pick a song from her favorite artist.
Things to Avoid When Trying Out Icebreakers
Icebreaker texts are an entertaining way to make sure a conversation is always fresh. However, it is crucial to be respectful and stay within reasonable boundaries. You need to understand that even if you cannot see your texting partner’s face, you are still talking to a person. You must never be rude or intrusive.
Here are some helpful tips to avoid overstepping:
- Do not ask anything that you would be uncomfortable answering. Avoid personal questions of any nature.
- Stir away from talking about topics that could be considered gross. If your favorite movie that has a really gory scene, perhaps it’s not the right time to bring it up.
- If your texting partner seems mildly uncomfortable with a game or a question, apologize, and move on. Don’t make a big deal about it.
- Make sure to acknowledge the other person’s feelings.
This guide will help you up your texting game. Now you’re ready to text that girl you’ve been dreaming of and begin a lovely friendship. Who knows? Maybe all these questions, games, and activities will lead to a long-lasting romantic relationship. Whatever the case may be, we certainly wish you the best of luck!